Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Great Wall Of Necklaces

I don't have pierced ears, so I overcompensate with statement necklaces and scarves. I often scour for found objects I can repurpose as neckpieces a la 30 Rock's glorious Liz Lemon:

Edie Falco: "I like your necklace."

Tina Fey: "Oh, it's actually a rape whistle but the whistle part fell off and I liked how it looked [pause] so [pause] I kept it."

Some of my favorites 'scarves' once lived as tablecloths (pick up great textiles in Chinatown or from Indian importers), pima cotton T-shirts or metal mesh that I've cut into strips (very Whiting and Davis circa 1972).

Here's a smattering of 'necklaces' that hang on my bedroom wall. I'm pretty big on what I call Sartorial Decorial (definition: the decorating of one's living space with objects designed to be, and which occasionally are, worn on one's person). Those are foam blocks from a dollar store tacked to the wall with pushpins anchoring the necklaces. For those NOT afraid of having to spackel your apartment when your lease is up, try real nails and spray-painted bulletin boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment