Happy 50th, Doctor Martens! See a well-edited video of the Doc's history here. The things you'll learn:
- Martens boasted the 1st ever air-cushioned sole ("AirWair" technology still used today).
- Have been worn by postal carriers, skinheads, punks, and now everybody else...
- Iconic appearances:
- Claire Danes in My So-Called Life,
- The Twilight kids,
- Russell Crowe in Romper Stomper,
- Liv Tyler on the cover of Empire Records,
- Supermodel Agnyess Deyn
- MTV's Daria
- Pete Townsend (of The Who) wore Doc Martens on stage (ie: with a white jumpsuit, as a commentary on the state of working class Britain).
- Pairs bought today still come with the same Lifetime Guarantee and Made in Britain seal that they did 50 years ago. Jolly good, then.
Pair them with:
- skinny cargos/a kilt/jean shorts
- anything leather
- boyfriend cardigan/plaid button-down
- a rebellious spirit